A Crisis

For this week’s post, I am going to focus on the troubles of healthcare in the United States compared to somewhere like Germany. More specifically, however, if I am going to discuss the crisis of healthcare, I must make this post humane since I want to change your mind about the current system we have.  Doing so means that I will bring in my own experiences in Germany.  Once that happens or when I speak about my own experiences in Europe, I wish to accomplish the following: while the current situation is dire, what isn’t dire is our desire for change so that we allow those, who aren’t us, have a future. A future where they aren’t burdened with debt. So, why is this issue of importance? Why is healthcare so critical? Why is healthcare a primary focus, and almost a passion of mine? In part, I plead with you that you listen to what I state because of my experiences in Germany
One such experience was the time I needed to be rushed to the emergency room when I studied abroad thanks to food poisoning. Imagine feeling like you had no control and no hope. So, as I arrived at the hospital, I was dreading paperwork and that I needed to wait. However, unlike my time with healthcare in the United States, I did not need to fill out any papers, nor did I need to wait. Instead, I was rushed into my own room, and tests were being done without hesitation. After that night, I was immediately discharged, and I asked: “what was the payment”? The residing nurse was shocked; I asked such a question. Her response was, “you have nothing to pay,” and I was shocked.

As you can see, what we see is something special: that German citizens don’t need to fear. Now, let us contrast that with my experiences in the United States.  Being more specific, however, I will look at prescription drugs in the United States. For this reason, I will use my most recent experience of going to Costco to pick up my own medications and compare it to my experiences of prescription medications in Germany.
To begin, let us look at the medication I use, Vyvanse. Without insurance, that very same drug will cost me about $300 at Costco (https://www.goodrx.com/vyvanse), and with insurance, it cost me about $70.  Now, let us compare that price with the price in Germany.  I vividly recall that when I went to the doctor, and she wrote my prescription for the same drug, the cost was about $10.

With these points in mind, we clearly see the troubles facing both countries, but at the same time, we can fix these troubles if we are determined and if we are willing to be completely honest about our experiences.

Sources Cited

https://www.goodrx.com/vyvanse

Comments