Age is just a number- usually.

We're all getting older everyday. It seems like only a year or two ago I was 22 and tearing up the city with friends. Staying out all night and waking up without a hangover. I blink my eyes and 5 years have gone by. I'm in bed by 9, one drink leads to a hangover and my metabolism has all but stopped. On the bright side of this- I'm still considered to be in the prime of my life. As much as I complain, I'm still youthful and capable. Now consider yourself in 30 years- apart from any potential health concerns that may arise- I would like to think I'm nearly as capable then as I am now. However, when most think of individuals 60 years and older, a certain stereotype exists. The "old geezer" comes to mind. While in fact I'm sure age affects some more harshly than others, many in their later years of life are just as capable if not more as they continue to gain experience and education. This idea of ageism exists in the other end of the spectrum as well when considering the younger millennial generation. A stereotype of lazy, video game playing, social media addicts arises. It is just as absurd to assume the entire population of millennials is this way as it is to assume those in their older years are. Rather than typecasting people based on their age, it would be much more beneficial for our society as a whole to consider each individual as just that- an individual. 

Comments