Save the environment through shopping!

Save the environment through shopping!

I grew up in a house of do gooders, my parents were recycling newspapers back in the 70’s, long before curbside recycling. Growing up I volunteered at food banks and community gardens, participated in marches from the comfort of my stroller and learned the importance of giving to charity from a very young age.

As an adult I continue to help others in many ways and continue to be a positive force for the environment but when it comes to making donations my student budget doesn’t leave much room for charity so I have to be smart when I spend to ensure that I am doing all that I can.

One of my favorite ways to share my wealth is through the amazon smile program. Amazon is great because they have absolutely everything, deliver quickly to my doorstep and for every dollar I spend they donate a portion of my purchase to the charity of my choosing. As of February 2017 Amazon has donated $46,126,473.56! It is so easy, simply visit smile.amazon.com and choose the charity you would like to contribute to and every time you shop on Amazon you are donating to a good cause. 

Many other companies offer similar programs including Best Buy, Macy’s, The Home Depot and so many others. iGive.com is a website that allows you to register as a consumer and shop at over 1700 stores that will donate to the charity of your choosing. Millions have been donated and at no additional cost to you and just a few minutes of time.

If you are not sure about which charity to contribute to here are a few suggestions for high impact environmental charities with integrity:

1% for the Planet: Created in 2002 by Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard and Craig Mathews. 1% for the Planet works hard to identify environmental organizations that will make the greatest impact. 
Green Empowerment: A non profit organization that works with local partners around the world to strengthen communities by delivering renewable energy and safe clean water. Visit their website and learn more about their work to help create a world where everyone has clean water, renewable energy and a healthy environment.
Earthjustice: “Because the earth needs a good lawyer” Earthjustice has become an independent crusade for a better planet. Choosing to donate to Earthjustice is a way to even the scales between the big money of large corporate interests and the underfunded voice of our struggling ecosystem.







Helpful Links:
Amazon Smile  https://smile.amazon.com




Short on cash? Most of these websites have links for online activism and volunteer opportunities.

Not an online shopper? Learn about credit cards that give to charity in this article from Nerdwallet, How to Maximize Your Online Donation to Charity.


Comments