Below is an estimate of water used by an average American.
- Bath - runs on the average of 36 gallons per full tub.
- Shower - old shower uses 5 gallons of water per minute use. With water-saving shower head, the number is approximately 2 gallons per minute. The average shower time in the US is 8.2 minutes.
- Teeth brushing - less than 1 gallon with newer faucets use 1 gallon per minute, compare to 2 gallons on older one.
- Hands/Face washing - 1 gallon
- Face/leg shaving - 1 gallon
- Dishwasher - 6 to 16 gallons depends on your dishwashers. Older model used 16 gallons per cycle wash.
- Dishwashing by hands - 8 to 27 gallons depends on how efficient you are and the kind of faucets you use.
- Clothes washer - 25 gallons per load for newer models. 40 gallons for older ones.
- Toilet flush - average 3 gallons per flush. Most new ones use 1.6 per flush compare to 4 gallons for older toilets.
- Glasses of water you drank - recommended half a gallon per day, not counting your pets and water use for cooking.
- Outdoor watering - 2 gallons per minute.
Do you agree with this list? If not, how much water do you think you use at home on a daily basis? Make your own list and compare it with your circle of friends!
|A visual image of how much water an average American use at home per day|