WHO, the World Health Organization, states that after the industrial revolution the use of mercury has greatly increased. Mercury is used in industrial facilities to manufacture appliances, instruments, and many raw materials. Although mercury is incredibly useful, the consequences to the health and well-being of surrounding animals can be devastating. In the last 10 years, mercury deposit levels have increased exponentially with no evidence of tapering down. A potentially poisonous form of the element have risen 3.8% in Pacific Yellowfin Tuna each year since 1998, reported originally by the LA Times. Although we know what the primary sources of mercury are, there is still not an obvious solution to mercury pollution.
Many pollution control organizations are suggesting that anti-mercury-pollution policies be updated for manufacturers and waste-management facilities. Treatment of waste which can’t be recycled before the actual disposal of that waste is one of the largest suggestions provided by the Environmental Protection Agency. A personal choice within households which can help the mercury pollution issue, is to purchase mercury-free products and find a local waste facility to learn how to properly dispose of mercury-containing products. Here is a link to some information on mercury-free alternative products: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/dontmesswithmercury/pdfs/mercury_safe_alternatives.pdf