Are Agricultural Treatments, Pesticides, and Fertilizers Truly Bad for Our Environment?

By PSU EcoMerge Capstone - 1:44 PM


   Farms produce and release a ton of chemicals to promote growth and to treat for diseases. When farms distribute these chemicals it eventually goes back into the environment. It does this in the form of water, air, and soil. The chemicals can eventually flow into rivers, lakes, streams, oceans, and even the air. The chemicals can also be sucked into the ground and can harm soil and other water resources.  This creates a serious environmental issue for everyone on this planet.  To answer the question above yes, treatments, pesticides, and fertilizers are extremely bad for our environment and other methods must be used to stop the devastation that they are creating.

   According to the GRACE Communications Foundation a group that, Builds partnerships and develops innovative media strategies that increase public awareness of the relationships among food, water and energy systemsestimated that, “Only 0.1% of applied pesticides reach the target pests, leaving the bulk of the pesticides (99.9%) to impact the environment.” The rest of the pesticides are not doing what they were intended to do and that will have a huge impact of health worldwide.

   This is a topic of discussion that should not be pushed aside and needs to be discussed in an open forum. Change will happen and people are continuing to think of news ways to prevent health risks and promote farm growth.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments