Are Americans ready to downsize their vehicles?

When pulling into the parking lot at the local grocery store the other day, I looked around and realized I was in a sea of SUV's. These 'sport utility vehicles' are massive! I thought to myself, who needs a car with three rows of seats and a huge trunk?

After getting into the store I answered my question, simply put American families. We have become so reliant on these oversized cars to support our growing families. With the average family having 2 or 3 children, I began to realize why these cars have become such a necessary thing in our lives.

On that note, the Detroit automakers are banking on the idea that Americans will start to buy small to mid size cars in order to save on fuel. In a recent article in Newsweek, General Motors has been using the tag line of "Compact cars are the sweet spot" when refering to their decision to make much smaller vehicles than in the past.

What is in it for us Americans? Soon we will be able to buy these micro cars and save on fuel. These cars will not be able to transport a family and will most likely be used as a commuter car instead of the main family vehicle. Either way, we all win by saving money on fuel and helping the environment.

Comments