No Draw to the CPU?

I really love being right, how about you? This is why I watch shows like “MythBusters” and have www.snopes.com in my favorites list. I found great ways to use the information that we’ve been gathering in this class to make some changes and reduce the amount of energy we use in our household. There’s just this one little thing that’s been bugging me.

I read a blog posted earlier about using the smart-strip. I brought up the subject with my husband of getting power strips for all of the devices in our computer area (eg. printer, monitors, computer) and then flip the switch when we aren’t using these devices so that there will not be any unwanted power draw. My husband agreed with using the strip for the monitors and printer but disagreed with using it for the CPU itself. He claims that the computer actually needs a constant draw in order to recharge a battery that keeps the clock current.

In the articles that I’ve read on the subject some say use the strips with computers, but others specifically leave out using the strip with computers and only say to use it with computer monitors and printers. So, if there are any IT people out there that can settle this argument (hopefully with me being right) please leave a comment.

Posted by Catherine Martell-Straight

Comments

  1. Thought leaving the CPU on can draw a fair amount of power, it is not in the best interest of your computers life to be flipping it on and off frequently. The battery does need recharged at times, but the real toll would be in all of the electrical components being stopped and started frequently. You can still shut it down when you are not using it for periods of time, but turning it off a few times a day for months and years is not a very good for the PC. A hibernate or low-power mode would be much more beneficial.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let your knowledge, ideas, and innovation be heard. Tell us what you think and know about this topic.