The United Nations:
It is important to remind ourselves of humanities current goals and the herculean effort desperately still needed today nearing the year 2018. The constant struggles that exist worldwide to stay alive, let alone thrive. On September 25th 2015, the United Nations adopted a list of 17 goals to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all as part of a new sustainable development agenda. Each goal has specific targets to be achieved over the next 15 years.
- No Poverty: Goal 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Zero Hunger: Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Good Health and Well-Being: Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Quality Education: Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
- Gender Equality: Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Clean Water and Sanitation: Goal 6: Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
- Affordable and Clean Energy: Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Decent Work and Economic Growth: Goal 8: Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure: Goal 9: Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Reduced Inequalities: Goal 10: Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Sustainable Cities and Communities: Goal 11: Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Responsible Consumption and Production: Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Climate Action: Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Life Below Water: Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources
- Life on Land: Goal 15: Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions: Goal 16: Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies
- Partnerships for the Goals: Goal 17: Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
For the goals to be reached, everyone needs to do their part: governments, the private sector, civil society and people like you. Do you want to get involved? You can start by telling everyone about them.
The United Nations has also put together a list of actions that you can take in your everyday life to contribute to our sustainable future.