More and more, people are saying to live more sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyles. However, many people don't try because they find this idea daunting and believe you have to go to extremes, when you really don't have to.
Here is a list of simple ways to incorporate more sustainable living that can have a tremendous impact on our environment.
- Make compost If you don't want to compost, ask your neighbors or friends if they have compost and give your organic waste to them.
- Reuse envelopes, paper bags, etc Buy the reusable bags at grocery stores (cost about $1). They are super durable and hold more than regular paper and plastic bags.
- Keep possessions We are a throw away culture. Instead of taking things to businesses that help repair items ex: bikes, or trying to repair them ourselves, people will just buy a new one because it is more convenient. By fixing them, it saves money, landfill space and resources.
- Buy in bulk Research the stores in your community that sell in bulk, and bring your own reusable containers to skip wasteful plastic packaging.
- Use compact fluorescents They screw into regular light sockets, but use way less electricity. Bonus: Add motion-sensing switches to turn them off automatically when you leave the room.
- Bike, walk and use public transportation Even trying to implement this 2-3 times a week can lower your carbon footprint.
- Use non-toxic cleaners There are many natural alternatives like borax, vinegar, baking soda, salt and lemon juice.
- Separate recyclables, and actually recycle them So easy!
- Store rainwater Use your roof as the collector. This is clean and free. Stored rainwater is great for your yard or garden, and saves your water bill exponentially when you think about all the water that is used to maintain the yard.
- Install low-flush toilets Low flush toilets can drop from 6 gallons per flush to 1 and a half. It saves money and water and cuts down on utility bills.
This quick list is a great jumping off point to leading a more eco-friendly and sustainable lifestyle. Screenshot and pass along to friends and family to show them that clean living isn't as hard as it sounds!