The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is a national coalition organization of 175 nonprofit organizations working together to protect the health of consumers and lead the way towards the victory by pressuring companies of removing the health hazardous chemicals from their products. The nonprofit organization has lead for the J&J and other companies to commit to their products safety by removing dangerous chemicals, and the campaign is hoping others will follow J&J’s footsteps.
J&J has confirmed to the Campaign that it has set an internal target date of reformulating adult products by the end of 2015, and it will use safe alternatives when reformulating. It will:
· Reduce 1,4 dioxane to a maximum of 10 parts per million in adult products;
· Phase out formaldehyde-releasers in adult products;
· Limit parabens in adult products to methyl-, ethyl- and propyl-;
· Complete phase-out of triclosan from all products;
· Phase out Diethyl Phthalate (DEP) from all products (no other phthalates are currently used);
· Phase out polycyclic musks, animal derived ingredients, tagates, rose crystal and diacetyl from fragrances.