Overfishing - The Consequences
I came across this video on the Internet, which is the first major, feature documentary film revealing the impact of overfishing on our oceans. The film won the PUMA Creative Impact Award and is well worth your time to watch it. Here are just some facts that you will see:
· The imminent extinction of bluefin, tuna are a result of demand for sushi;
· The impact on marine life resulting in huge overpopulation of jellyfish; and the profound implications of a future world with no fish that would bring certain mass starvation.
· Prediction that the end of most seafood by 2048.
· Consumers purchasing endangered fish, politicians failing to act and fishermen who break quotas and fish illegally have led to the pending global fishing disaster.
· Together we can take actions and solve this global problem by reducing the number of fishing boats, limit fishing and educate consumers to purchase fish from independently certified sustainable fisheries.