Stocks at a Glance
- 222 stocks (86%) are not subject to overfishing
- 36 stocks (14%) are subject to overfishing
- 174 stocks (79%) are not overfished
- 45 stocks (21%) are overfished
- 6 stocks declared rebuilt, totaling 27 stocks rebuilt to date
- 51 stocks in rebuilding plans, with 6 additional plans in development
Subject to Overfishing
- 2010 40 (16%)
- 2011 36 (14%)
- 2010 48 (23%)
- 2011 45 (21%)
- 2010 21
- 2011 27
Overfished is when the population is too low, or below a prescribed threshold. A population can be overfished but be managed under a rebuilding plan that over time returns the population to health.
Rebuilt is when a stock has increased to its target population level after falling below the critical overfished level.
*taken from 2011 Status of Fisheries Fact Sheet
But be careful not to get too giddy with the good news. This applies to U.S. Fisheries only, where fish stock data is reliably used. Other countries around the world use catch data and the two are apples and oranges and subject to much debate. Stay tuned for more ...