Greek yogurt


One of the newest “food fads” over the last year or so is Greek yogurt. I for one am a huge fan of Greek yogurt. I became interested in it after first trying Lebanese food and having tzatziki and I soon learned that it is very high in protein so I started experimenting with different brands and flavors over a few weeks to see which ones I liked.

There are currently more brands that make Greek yogurt now than there were a year ago when I first started eating it. Most mainstream yogurt brands (such as Dannon and Yoplait) make their own Greek yogurts now as well as many other brands that exclusively make Greek style. Most brands make a “regular” and a non-fat version of their yogurt. The “regular” versions tend to have much more fat than traditional yogurt and on average have 12 grams of saturated fat. Greek yogurt is packed with an average of 18 grams of protein as compared to 9 grams in more traditional yogurts.

Greek yogurt can be a great snack or part of a healthy high protein breakfast. It can be eaten alone of if you want to make it into a meal and even higher in protein you can mix in sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, or my personal favorite, mix strawberry Chobani yogurt with a bowl of oatmeal. It can make a great flavor plus it helps cool down the oatmeal so you can eat it sooner!

Here is my recipe for a delicious high protein breakfast parfait:

Ingredients:
1 cup of your favorite Greek yogurt
½ cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (I use a mix of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries)
¼ cup sliced almonds
½ cup granola

Directions:
Begin by layering half of your yogurt followed by the granola, then berries, the rest of the yogurt, and top with the almonds and enjoy!

Comments